Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Super Bulky Newborn Hat - Girlie Version




I was making a few things for a friend, and wanted a girlie newborn hat pattern from a super bulky weight yarn. Um, yeah, couldn't find what I needed. Thankfully, it was really quick to make it over and over until I got the results I was looking for lol! It's not perfect, but it works for me.

So, have at it. I'm not making any promises or guarantees, but am sharing in the hopes that it may help someone else ;o)

Super Bulky Newborn Hat - Girlie Version

Small amount of Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or other super bulky yarn
N (10mm) Crochet hook

I used a magic loop to work my 1st round
Chain one, 5 sc in loop. Sl st in 1st ch to join
R2: ch 1, sc in same st *2 sc in each st* around, sl st to join
R3: ch 1 sc in same st * sc in next st, 2 sc in next* around, sl st to join
R4: ch 2, hdc in same st, *hdc in next 2 st, 2 hdc in in next* around, sl st to join
R5-7: ch 2, *hdc in each st* around, sl st to join
R8: ch 3, *sk 1 st, dc in next st, ch 1* around, sl st in 2nd chain to join.

Weave in ends, run ribbon through spaces between dc's, tie a fluffy little bow, and put it on a sweet little head!




Special thanks to Heather Pulse for the gorgeous photo!

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

What's a magic loop?

Unknown said...

Your newest follower here via GFC. Cute stuff!

Malea said...

Very cute! Thanks for the pattern! It was super fast and really simple. The best part is this will definitely be added to my stash of baby gift ideas!

Casey Nicole said...

i really love this pattern- really simple..however even though i followed the instructions exactly..it looks more like it would fit a very tiny doll rather than a newborn baby...might i be doing something wrong? i used the same yarn and a N crochet hook...hmmm...

AdronsCatherine said...

Casey, you might try a larger hook. Gauge varies from person to person, and you may just happen to have a tighter stitch than I do. I'm a super relaxed stitcher LOL! Let me know if that helps <3

KraftyandKreative said...

Did you make the diaper cover too? Any idea on a pattern for that as well?

AdronsCatherine said...

I did make the diaper cover! However, I did not design the pattern. I based it on the "Very Chunky Diaper Cover" pattern by Jenna Swanson, available on ravelry.com http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/very-chunky-diaper-cover

Good luck to you!!!

Unknown said...

LOVE this! I just started following you :)

Amanda said...

this might be a silly question but itd really help me out, would you mind telling me how many chains we're supposed to have after each round?

AdronsCatherine said...

Amanda, I believe it should be 5 on Row 1, 10 on Row 2, 15 on Row 3, and 20 on Rows 4-7.

Bettyboop1904 said...

It's very beautiful newborn hat.
means that sl, sk and hdc please?

ebs said...

If I don't want the spaces where the ribbon would go (let's say, for a boys hat), can i just do the dc's and not skip a stitch? or will that mess it up?

AdronsCatherine said...

ebs, I would just continue hdc rounds until it is the length you would like - 1-2 more rows :)

Unknown said...

Love this pattern. As a beginner in crochet it's the best pattern I've found yet. Did it on 6.5mm hook just to try it first...now going to get a number 10 hook :) thank you for pattern

Unknown said...

I joined your blog when I found this pattern :)