Friday, June 27, 2008

Slowing down

Well, this has been a whirlwind of a summer!

Last week, we had VBS. I got the coolest job ever - I was the assistant in the science lab! Monica is a member of our church, and since we were doing Group Publishing's "Power Lab", there couldn't have been a better fit! Monday she did experiments with dry ice, Tuesday was the Tesla coil, and Wednesday was the Van de Graaff generator.  Oh my, we had such a great time!!!  The kids had a ball, *I* had a ball, and was very sad that Monica's schedule didn't permit her to be there the rest of the week.  I wound up hanging out with the incredibly cool Sarah, who is the youth pastor's wife.  Lemme tell ya - that woman is AMAZING!  She has 3 boys, the youngest is about 6 weeks older than Noah, then one that is 3, and the oldest is 5 or 6 (sheesh!  I feel bad for not knowing that!).  She homeschools them, and when I met her, the boys were little bitty babies, and we were both nursing them and their next older sibling at the same time.  Ha - I thought I was the only "freak" around LOL!  Anyway, she also leads Weight Watchers meetings.  Her meeting on Wednesday is the "Mommy and Me" meeting, so when I don't have someone to watch the littles on Tuesdays, I think I'm going to be attending her meeting.  Oh - sorry, I forgot why I was talking about Sarah!  Well, she led the kids through the stations of the Cross, as well as a little time in Mary's grotto, and I got to tag along.  It was really neat to hear her teaching the kids about the power of prayer, as well as WHY we should pray.

As if that wasn't enough for one week, I spent my weekend in San Diego at the National PTA Convention!  We flew out Friday morning, and arrived in San Diego at 10:30 their time.  We tried to check into our hotel, but the room wasn't available until 3.  Not cool.  So, we checked our luggage, walked across the street to the trolley line, and took the trolley to Old Town.  We were SO hungry!  We ate lunch at a very mediocre Mexican restaurant, but we were so starving that it didn't matter lol!  We got back on the trolley - going the wrong way, per my misguided map skills, and got off *before* we wound up at the Mexican border...!  The rest of the weekend was full of workshops and meetings, which were great!  I met some amazing people there, and am totally hyped about my position as the VP of Membership at Madeline's school!  I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm hoping that at the July board meeting, it'll all be made clear.  Anyway, while we were there, we walked around Fashion Valley, which is a beautiful mall, wandered around Seaport Village, ate some fabulous seafood, and thoroughly enjoyed San Diego's great public transportation system and beautiful weather.  Of course, they were having a heat wave while we were there, but that was still not nearly as hot as I am used to!  Monday, we got to the airport 4 hours before our flight, assuming it was like the Memphis airport.  You know, check in, get through security, find some breakfast, and do a little shopping while we waited.  Yeah, no.  It seems that in San Diego, there are about 2 restaurans, and just a couple of shops in the secure area...  Ah well, I was able to get breakfast, lunch, and gifties for my kiddos while we waited.  Funny thing is that I looked at t-shirts all over the place, and they were all really high.  The ones I got at the airport were about half the price of everywhere else!  I still spent way too much money, but the kids really seem to like their shirts :)  I also came home with a boatload of stuf from the vendors at the conference.  Wendy, our PTA president told me to pack an extra bag, and it's a good thing I did!  We totally needed it!  A lot of the stuff is just brochures and other reading materials, but there were quite a few goodies there, too.  Since Audrey is at her dad's this week, I figured I would wait to give out that stuff until she gets home.  The other three have no idea what I brought home for them hee hee hee!!!

Well, I need to finish cooking lunch - cheese grits, Weight Watcher's Core plan style!  I'm having a bit of a time knowing what to eat, but I think once I get the hang of it, it's going to be fabulous!  Since only fat-free dairy is permitted, I made some more yogurt this morning.  I bought a gallon of skim milk, which I really don't like, and used half of it for yogurt, which I really DO like.  I was going to buy a half-gallon, but realized that it was only about 45 cents more to buy a gallon.  Hmmmmmm....  If I make yogurt with half of it, then I still come out waaaay ahead!  Plain, fat-free yogurt is around $2.50 for a quart, 1/2 gallon skim milk is $2.19.  I got a gallon of skim milk at Costco for around $2.65, so I guess I saved almost $4 doing it that way!

I'll be back in the next day or so with some pictures from my trip =D

1 comment:

Chanin said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and picking up the fireworks freebie! Nice blog! I have 4 kids too!